Employee grabs hose to stop fire at Medford youth shelter

MEDFORD, Ore. – Some quick thinking may have saved Hearts with a Mission’s youth shelter.

A tree behind the shelter in Medford caught fire last Friday.

Bryan Wenzel, a lead case manager at the center, noticed some smoke in the backyard and jumped into action.

“You know if I wouldn’t have acted up quickly it could have gotten a lot worse from there on,” Wenzel said. “So definitely got to be vigilant of your surroundings and everything going on there. There are only seconds to make a decision about what you need to be doing in that situation.”

Wenzel said the fire would have spread to the adjacent property if it wasn’t put out immediately.

He said the fire may have been started by a neighboring property burning debris.

© 2024 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.

Skip to content