Ashland, Ore. — A gas leak near Ashland Middle School forced students to evacuate, as Ashland Fire Rescue and Avista Utilities responded.
The call came in just after 11 Friday morning, of a gas leak near the track field. Firefighters reported that one building was evacuated, and the rest were closed, all doors and windows included.
“We were kind of prepared for the worst, and also evacuated areas that would be affected, and tried to limit things that might ignite the gas,” Battalion Chief Matt Freiheit said.
A work crew in the are hit a gas line, and called in the leak. Avista utility crews were able to close off the line to the school, and classes resumed as normal. The leak in the area has since been fixed.
© 2023 KOBI-TV NBC5. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.